Pediatric Heart SurgeryPediatric Heart Surgeries are Heart surgery done in children to repair heart defects (known as congenital heart defects ) with which a child is born such surgeries. These surgeries are also required to treat other heart diseases that a child gets after birth apart from congenital defects. This procedure is done for the child’s well-being. Heart Defects can occur outside the heart in the large blood vessels or inside the heart. While for Some heart problems one can safely wait for a few months or years to have surgery, some need a surgery right after the baby is born.
Why is the Procedure required?It indicates that a surgery is required if the following warning signs are found in children:
- symptoms which indicate that there is not enough oxygen in the blood (hypoxia) i.e. Blue or gray skin, nail beds and lips
- "wet," congested, or filled with fluid (heart failure)lungs causing the child difficulty in breathing
- If there exists problems in heart rhythm (arrhythmias) or heart rate
- The child is not able to sleep and eat properly and if there is lack of growth and development of a child.
How is the surgery performed?For fixing congenital defects of the heart in children following are the different techniques used:
- Open heart surgery: It is performed under general anesthesia. Through the breastbone firstly an incision is made. A special pump called a heart-lung bypass machine is used in which some tubes are used to re-route the blood. This machine keeps on moving the blood through the rest of the body and keeps the blood warm and adds oxygen to the blood while the surgeon is repairing the heart. The machine is removed once the procedure is done, and the heart is started and the breastbone and the skin incisions are closed.
- Thoracotomy: It is also called a closed-heart surgery. For some type of heart defect repairs this procedure is used, wherein the incision is made between the ribs, on the side of the chest. Special instruments and a camera are used to perform this surgery.
- Few small tubes are inserted into an artery in the leg and pass them up to the heart in one kind of procedure. Only some heart defects can be repaired in this fashion.
- Blood tests (such as complete blood count, electrolytes, clotting factors, and "cross match")
- Electrocardiogram (EKG, or ECG) or Echocardiogram (ECHO, or ultrasound of the heart)
- X-ray of Chest
- Cardiac catheterization
- Airport Pick-up and Drop
- Hospital Stay in a Private Room as indicated above. One attendant can stay with the patient.
- Nursing & Diet charges.
- Routine lab tests
- Admitting Consultant's visit charges
- Surgeon’s Fees and OT Charges
- Hospital stay after the said period.
- Visit charges after the said period.
- Cross consultations, if any.
Get answers to your queries round the clock
Call us or write to us anytime
Video Call or Telephonic Call facility with doctors
Get answers to all your medical queries
Free Airport Services - Pick up and Drop
Roundtrip Airport Transfers
Move in the city
Hire our network Taxi Service at special rates
Choose hotels and guest houses that suites your budget
Special rates for our patients
Mobile Phone Rental
Get Pre-paid cards of different values
A representative to go with patients for treatments, appointments and for personal assistance
Ground Assistance Services
FRRO Registration, Flight Ticket Booking, Internal Transfers etc.
Write to us: email@example.com