Gastric BandingWith morbid obesity there are many associated health risks. The risks of heart disease, stroke, Type 2 Diabetes, Cancers, Liver Disease, Breathing Problems, Deep Vein Thrombosis, infertility or breast cancer etc is increased with morbid obesity. Many neurological, hormonal and musculoskeletal problems also can be associated with obesity, as well as its psychological effects on the obese person.
The Laparoscopic Gastric Banding is one of the surgical options available for long term weight loss. Laparoscope is used in this minimally invasive surgery. Avoiding a large single cut only few small incisions are made. If done laparoscopically Gastric banding has many benefits like shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery, less scarring, less chances of infection etc. "Lap Band" is a new word for Gastric Banding Surgery, and effective way to reduce the desire for, and intake of food and resulting in significant weight loss over a period of time.
IndicationsThe gastric banding procedure may benefit People with Body Mass Index of above 40 and the following aspects.
- Co-morbidities that may improve with weight loss like the type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Body Mass Index above 40
- No benefit from various conservative methods like dietary change, medications, exercises etc.
- History of obesity.
- Clear understanding of the procedure, risks, benefits and lifestyle modifications.
- After the surgery Willingness to follow the instructions on lifestyle modifications given by the doctor.
ProcedureA silicon band lined with an inflatable balloon is placed in a Laparoscopic Gastric Banding procedure, around the stomach near its upper end laparoscopically creating a small pouch and a narrow passage into the larger remainder of the stomach. When a person eats food the pouch thus created fills quickly. The message to the brain is that the entire stomach is full as the upper part (the pouch) of the stomach registers as full. Thus the person is hungry less often, full more quickly and for a longer period of time, eats smaller portions, and lose weight over time. The passage of food from the pouch to the lower part of the stomach is slowed down by the silicon band.
This balloon which is placed under the skin of the abdomen is connected to a small reservoir that through which the diameter of the band can be adjusted by injecting fluid into it. This is done as an outpatient procedure.
- Performed laparoscopically with 5 small incisions (most less than 5 mm and one 15 mm)
- Adjustable silastic gastric band used
- Operative time approximately one hour
- Short hospital stay, 1 to 2 days
- Oral intake of liquids on first post operative day
- Quick recovery, one week to work
- Resume strenuous activity in 2 weeks
RisksThere are some risks associated with a gastric banding procedure like any other bariatric surgery. Some of them are ulcers, gastritis, slippage of the band causing enlarged upper pouch, Internal bleeding, Infection etc. Today these risks have been minimised to a great extent with the advancement of technology, laparoscopic techniques, expertise and research.
- Airport Pick-up and Drop
- Hospital Stay in a Private Room as indicated above. One attendant can stay with the patient.
- Nursing & Diet charges.
- Routine lab tests
- Admitting Consultant's visit charges
- Surgeon’s Fees and OT Charges
- Hospital stay after the said period.
- Visit charges after the said period.
- Cross consultations, if any.
Get answers to your queries round the clock
Call us or write to us anytime
Video Call or Telephonic Call facility with doctors
Get answers to all your medical queries
Free Airport Services - Pick up and Drop
Roundtrip Airport Transfers
Move in the city
Hire our network Taxi Service at special rates
Choose hotels and guest houses that suites your budget
Special rates for our patients
Mobile Phone Rental
Get Pre-paid cards of different values
A representative to go with patients for treatments, appointments and for personal assistance
Ground Assistance Services
FRRO Registration, Flight Ticket Booking, Internal Transfers etc.
Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org